<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday (Strasbourg, France->Breisach-am-Rhein, Germany), 50mi

Well, I've found an internet connection just down the road from the hostel I'm staying in. So I'm sitting on the Rhine, watching the sun go down and writing this blog. Not bad.

I woke this morning and got right out to take in a bit more of Strasbourg. It really is a lovely city. I was a little worried when I first came in because I got lost in the industrial section, but the old part of the town is pretty cool. I took a bunch of pictures...

Today was a little shorter, but the quality of the route did improve. There were some more hills and quaint little towns and not so much heavy industry. The weather was generally overcast and there were a few rain squalls, but I didn't have to put on the wet weather gear. Also, there wasn't any wind today which was really nice.

I spent the first half of the day following the Rhone-Rhine Canal - that's why my path looks so straight on the map. It was nice, but eventually got a little boring. After going over a major hydroelectric dam I was back in Germany following the Rhine and the Grande Canal d'Alsace. I ventured through some old ruins and eventually made it to Breisach. I got one of the "leader" rooms in the hostel which means it has only one other bed and its own bathroom. It's also insulated from the zillions of kids that are running around. Anyway, I went out and ate a currywurst and then had a big plate of donner.

I could make Basel tomorrow, but then my tour would be over. I think I'm going to take a quick jaunt east to the town of Freiburg which supposed to be really nice. I'll spend the night there and then make for Basel on Saturday. Sunday or Monday I'll take a train from Basel to Milan and then meet up with Charles in Verbania on Tuesday.

The evidence...


The route and the interactive route.


Looking out of the hostel window in Strasbourg.


The old cathedral in Strasbourg.


The "Petit France" part of Strasbourg.


The bike path along the Rhone-Rhine Canal. Not too bad...


Alone along the Grande Canal d'Alsace. It was very peaceful today.


The difficult passage back into Germany. Man those border guards are tough.


Eating lunch and waiting out a rain squall.


The Lindburg ruins. Unfortunately all the posted historical info was in French or German so I really couldn't tell ya the significance. I think it was a Benedictine monastery at one point. However, no tourists and no entrance fee. I had it all to myself.


"King of the castle. King of the castle."


The medieval town of Breisach as I arrived.

Comments:
Only one more leg left...quite the journey (for all of us). Enjoy- be safe.
 
Post a Comment


This counter provided for free from HTMLcounter.com!
HTMLCounter.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?