<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tuesday (Mannhiem->Karlsruhe), 60mi

Well, it's 8pm here and I'm sitting in a square somewhere in Karlsruhe. It's a pretty big town with a nice palace and tons of shops (if you like that sort of thing - the Europeans certainly do). I barely have a signal so I might not be able to upload pictures, but we'll see.

Today's ride was not so exciting as the terrain has gotten pretty flat again and I was mostly in the woods without being able to see the Rhein. However, I did get lost once and ended up in a farmer's field (again) for a while. The weather was great though. I really have been lucky.

I stopped in a pretty cool town called Speyer which had a nice old section. There was massive cathedral that looks like it was recently rebuilt with all the old sections of a previous cathedral that had been destroyed. There are some pics below.

Seeing as I don't have much to report, I guess I'll talk about the bike. So far, it's been great. The dérailleur hanger got a bit bent on the plane ride over so I had to adjust the dérailleur, but it works fine now. Also, the largest front chainring got busted on the flight over so it's a bit bent. However, I've only used the gear once and it was way too scary with the trailer, so no matter. Umm, that's about it for today. Although, I must say that it is getting difficult not being able to have a conversation with anyone (the Germans barely speak any English, unlike the Dutch).

Pictures:

The route. Interactive.


Another ferry crossing today...


Inside the Speyer cathedral. The largest Romanesque church in the world.


Outside the Speyer cathedral.


There I am out in front.


The Rhein at last...


Lunchtime in Worth-am-Rheins.


The palace at Karlsruhe.

Comments: Post a Comment


This counter provided for free from HTMLcounter.com!
HTMLCounter.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?